Monday, December 1, 2008

Disenchanting Primer


A few people have asked me to analyze exactly what disenchanting I do and how I go about it. I am hesitant to give explicit numbers since no two servers are exactly the same. I have a friend who I may be going into business with and because of that and my desire to turn this experience into some sort of academic project I have an excel sheet of disenchanting guidelines I use. The prices below are in gold. This is all the juicy stuff:

Item Level

Max Price

Expected Value

Minimum Profit









36-40 Armor

2

4

2

36-40 Weapon

4

6

2

41-45 Armor

2

4

2

41-45 Weapon

5

10

5

46-50 Armor

2

3

1

46-50 Weapon

5

8

3

51-56 Armor

4

14

10

51-56 Weapon

10

17

7

64-70 Armor

4

6

2

64-70 Weapon

7

11

4

71-75 Armor

11

16

5

71-75 Weapon

11

16

5

76-80 Armor

20

40

20

76-80 Weapon

20

40

20


As a general rule the value of the materials your piece of armor or weapon will disenchant to changes every 5 levels or so. There are significant caveats to this analysis, but for now lets just look at the chart. I don't fiddle with anything below level 36, because in most cases the profit is less than 1g. The max price is obviously the most I will pay for the item. The expected value is approximately how much the piece is worth after it has been disenchanted. I always round downward to be safe, and because there are more items than I have time to buy. Minimum profit is the least I expect to make from the item. These values are on my server based on the enchantrix price from scanning the auction house regularly.

To access the different items what I do is go to the browse window in the auctioneer advanced and specify the level range I want to work with and change the rarity to uncommon. You also want to arrange the listings by bid price. I bid on all items that meet my requirements too. Just because the buyout price it out of my range doesn't mean the bid price is. I have plenty of time. I don't mind waiting for it.

As you can see from the chart the new wrath items are the most profitable. However those numbers represent aggregate expected value for the level range. Sometimes you get better stuff when you disenchant than others. I assure you, it balances out.

Some general advice though, stay away from non-wrath blues. Strangely enough they are usually worth less than the greens and cost more.

This gets even more complicated however. In addition to level requirements, armor/weaons have ilvls. Where the ilvl changes sometimes can be very valuable in wrath. When you search for items from 64-70 you'll see some items with ilvl 130 and up. Those are wrath items which are worth considerably more than BC items. There is another switch at ilvl 151. Items at that ilvl are worth around 40g a piece and can sell for as little as 5g.

The problem is that disenchanting takes time. For me it is no big deal. I buy all the items with one character, send them to another and read a book while I disenchant. I can also do it on my laptop at work. Since it only gets 10fps when I move, it's the perfect activity.

I will be adding screenshots and more information to this post later. Feel free to ask further specific questions in the comments and I'll try to update this post to address them. I'd like to make this post as complete and as valuable as possible.



Update 12/8


Prices for Northrend mats have cooled down a bit in the auction house. Remember to always use your data. My data is only useful to me and other players on my server. Hopefully, none of those people are reading this. What follows is a screenshot of me using auctioneer advanced and the information that is posted there. I know some people are still having trouble with the new version. If you would get used to the newfangled layout, I promise you'd like it better. You need to click to enlarge it to get any detail.


9 comments:

AJ said...

Yup, similar to what I was doing when I wanted cash for my (many) fliers. My server's been a bit more savvy on the pricing of BC greens in the past so my biggest sellers were usually Eternal Essences.

Nice analysis, I'm gonna post up what I've been up to on my casual project and it's mostly been low level disenchanting with a bit of selling books/pets (400% return is hard to beat in the low 20's).

There's really a lot of cash in the low end DE for anyone out there not at max level, especially if you can DE the 55+ classic green weapons. It's my 10 min a day hobby at the moment due to play time issues, however I'm hoping to skill up to 225 by next week and start churning out the more profitable mats. We'll see.

Keep up the good work on the blog ;)

Cuthbert said...

I think at 275 you can disenchant al of the wrath blues and greens. You'll make back whatever it costs to powerlevel there in no time.

AJ said...

Yep, that's the plan. My little druid is 25 at the moment so I need to wait till 30 to hit that bracket anyway. I'd like to think that I'd have 500g + the 300g it takes to level into the 280ish space by then, but that will all depend on how fast my stock of wrath leveling blues sell this week.

Victor Hollo said...

I will try to search in level bands, not sure why I haven't done that.

Victor Hollo said...

I noticed my server's prices are actually strikingly similar to your guideline. I bid on about 60 green items. Waiting....

Chris Rolling said...

I'd love to know your servers prices that you would ballpark making 40g rounding down on the 76-80 armors. On my server infinite dust is a whooping 5g, and Greater cosmic essences are 20g, so enchantrix figures:
3.5 dust 5g each, X 75% = 13g
1.5 essences, 20g each X 20% = 6g
1 shard 7.5 each X 5% = .4g

which comes to total of 19.4g average for each item. Now are my server's mat prices vastly different to yours, or am I just doing my math wrong to be nearly half of your expected gain?
Thanks in advanced for talking this over, but more thanks for this awesome blog...it rocks!

AJ said...

Hey mate, I've just posted my spreadsheet on this topic, link is in this post: http://wowcasually.blogspot.com/2008/12/disenchanting.html

It's essentially the basics that I've been making gold from since I first learned the DE tricks, only cleaned up a bit and using some more customizable formulas to enable different server pricing.

Let me know what you think, the values up to end of TBC seem correct (if a tiny conservative) but I haven't had a chance to gauge the Northrend data.

Cuthbert said...

@Chris Your math is fine, your server prices are crazy low. The mats on my server are selling at around twice the amount on yours. Dust a little less than that, essences and shards a little more. Shard prices are dropping fast though, but I think this is temporary.

@AJ I my computer crashed and I have to reinstall my productivity software, but I will check that out at work on Tuesday.

Anonymous said...

wowcasually.blogspot.com went down; does anyone have AJ's spreadsheet?