Friday, November 28, 2008

Opportunity Costs


There is poor Cuthbert, sitting at the bar at level 72. For a guy that attended a midnight launch I sure haven't leveled very fast. There are just too many underpriced pieces of Northrend armor/weapons. What a lot of people don't realize is that not all level 68 armor is created equal. On my server green 68 outland armor is worth about 8g or so for disenchanting purposes. Level 68 Northrend armor is worth nearly twice that. You can easily check where the armor comes from by it's ilvl, since anything ilvl130 and up is from Northrend.

Since there are so many underpriced items for sale, I haven't had time to do anything other than buy them and send them to the disenchanting queue. I always leave a substantial differential between the price that I'll buy an item and what enchantrix says it is worth, both to keep my profit margins high and to insulate myself against a big decrease in the price I can move my now significant inventory. The items I am buying now to disenchant may not be put on the market for over a week or two, which can be an eternity in wow.

The good news for the disenchanting business is that once the auctions are posted, your work is done for a couple days. Do you guys remember when auctions only lasted 24 hours? I didn't realize how brutal that was until I didn't have to worry about what part of the day I posted auctions anymore.

I am still keeping track of revenue and cost on the different parts of my business for what hopefully turns out to be at least a term paper. I'll have weekly summaries posted on Mondays if anyone is interested in checking them out.

The northrend shards aren't selling well, but I still think that is because people aren't using many high level enchants yet. The dusts and essences are flying off the shelf though. Sales on the rest of my inventory is pretty constant, although arcane dust and greater planar essence prices are spiking a bit, 22g a stack and 11g a piece respectively.

Hopefully during this holiday weekend I'll be able to take care of the business, actually level my character, and avoid girlfriend aggro all at once.

Wish me luck and happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: